Sunday 24 November 2019

'Aoba-kun ni Kikitai Koto' Manga Review



I LOVED IT! The story was very interesting I couldn't put my phone down and I just kept wanting to read more. I bought the last volume since I couldn't read it anywhere else and because it was so engaging right through to the end.



Author: Tooyama Ema
Genre: Shoujo, Drama, Romance, School Life, Sports
English Name: Aoba-kun's Confession

Total volumes: 8 volumes (2015 - 2018)

The final volume isn't on any manga reading platform so I thought it has been translated yet but you can actually read it on MyAnimeList for $15.99 AUD. 

I couldn't wait for it to be uploaded onto MangaRock so I went ahead and bought because I wanted to know how the story ends. It was worth it because I got a decent and somewhat satisfying ending. 

SUMMARY

Sakurada Mayo is a very shy girl with a really quiet voice and no friends. She has always admired the most popular guy in her school and on the basketball club, Aoba Kouta. One day, she starts her part-time job at her aunt's business 'Sakurada Listening House Familia'. It's a weird job where she only has to listen to her client's problem and can't ask questions or give advice. 
The same day she starts her job, her first client is Kouta! Disguising herself she sits in on their first session but it doesn't go so well. The second time he comes he opens up a bit more and Mayo is able to see more sides to him that he doesn't show at school as their story progress. 
This is the closest she's ever been to him but can't love him. Will her voice ever be heard? Where is this clumsy, secret requited love going to go? 

* I kinda copy-paste this review from my account on MyAnimeList because I didn't want to type it out again but my review still stands the same. 

I liked how Mayo seemed so meek at first but she's actually very strong and very optimistic even though the guy was being cold to her. This story is kind of different to all the manga's I've read before. Kouta has a very unusual problem which is very interesting and makes you want to read more and learn why he has it.


Image result for Aoba-kun ni Kikitai Koto


As the story unfolds you start to get a sense as to why he thinks the way he does and he end up feeling sorry for him. I especially like it when even though Kouta was showing withdrawal symptoms, Mayo doesn't give up on him and tries to help him. She's a selfless person who - even if she doesn't get anything in return - is content as long as Kouta finds his passion and happiness again.

I loved how the author portrayed her characters. Mayo, in particular, I find just so adorable and cute. I love her. She has a quiet voice (like I do) and only finds the courage to speak up before she realizes it because of the courage Kouta and the people around her. Kouta is an interesting character with an unusual problem and pitiful backstory. His best friend is also very interesting and I like him the most because he says the most unexpected things to Mayo out of nowhere and with people around. It's so endearing.


TOTAL SCORE

Storyline: ★★★★☆
Characters: ★★★★★
Romance: ★★★☆☆
Drama: ★★★☆☆
Is it Enjoyable?: ★★★★★
Overall score: ★★★★☆

For a really short manga, it kept me very interested right through to the end and I really enjoyed it. It was very innocent and pure and at times very comedic - especially the childish best friend and senpai. The ending was a little unexpected and cliché and a little rushed (make sense for an 8 volume manga) but I got some closure I needed. 

The art was just beautiful. Art is important to me because if the drawing isn't good then no matter how good the story is I just can't find myself to be interested in it. I've always loved Ema Toyama's work. So I'm quite pleased.


Image result for aoba kun ni kikitai chapter 25


Overall, I loved the story. Loved the characters. Love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Kissed by the Baddest Bidder: Soryu Oh S2 Living Together

Story Basis: The Tres Spade Hotel has expanded to Dubai, you're initially there for a training seminar when you learn you...